I don’t know what it is about time lately, but it just seems to be going faster and faster. Maybe it only goes faster when you fall in love, or you have kids, or life is good. I don’t know what the reason is, but I hate it.
You guys! I seriously have a 4 1/2 month old now!?! What?!?! How did this happen? One minute I was bringing her home from the hospital and now she’s 4 1/2 months old. She is sitting up, rolling over, eating food. She is getting bigger and bigger each day and I know she won’t be my baby forever because I’ve seen what happens. Don’t even get me started on Jaxsyn. I’m still scratching my head.
Don’t get me wrong, I love watching my children grow up. Jaxsyn is always telling me how he can’t wait to get “big and strong” and how he wants me to be old so he can do whatever he wants. (Ultimately he means buy things and cross the street on his own.) But it breaks my heart because I know this won’t last forever, I won’t last forever.
Not to get all ‘Debbie Downer’ but as parents there is so much that we are going to miss out on once our kids do get older. I hate that too. But with our busy lives and our constant going and doing and being, I know that I’ve missed out on a lot already and I enough is enough, I’m ready to slow down.
It’s hard to really appreciate every single moment with your kids. I know after having Adelaide and trying to watch her do things that I’m constantly telling Jaxsyn to hold on or give mommy a minute and vice versa. There is never enough time in the day for me to pay enough attention to everyone and it’s just not fair.
So what do we do? What can we do? What should we do?
- Hold your babies. Even your big babies. Hold them often and for as long as they will let you because one day your arms will be too small and too tired.
- Kiss and hug often. You don’t have to have a reason, just do it.
- Spend days in laying in bed together putting everything else on hold. Life can wait, I promise.
- Talk everyday about what’s going on in each other’s lives. If you missed something at least you can hear about it.
- Take pictures. Take a lot of pictures. Don’t wait for an opportunity for a picture, just take pictures because every moment with your kids is worth remembering.
- Forget about a clean house, or clean laundry, or chores, or responsibility. Those things can wait too. If you must do those things, do them together.
- And finally, love like it all ends today.
Cherish every second with your kids! Never take a minute for granted. I know when life gets hard that my first instinct is to wish it away-Don’t. Realize that this is another story to add to the books. This is something you will remember when you get old and find yourself reflecting. These are the times your children will remember when they have children of their own. Time does a good enough job of passing quickly on its own,that it doesn’t need our help.